The tagline of your conference is responsible for giving the first impression of what it’s all about and this should not be underestimated. An effective tagline will transmit your personality, your mission and your promise. It should capture the essence of your event and help communicate it in a simple and direct way.
There are dozens of online resources to help you build a solid tagline, I recommend the following:
- How to Create a Rock-Solid Tagline That Truly Works
- Wag the Tagline: The Rhetoric of Brand Messaging (TaglineGuru has lots of useful advice)
- How to Write a Tagline that Sticks
Remember not to be captured by the temptation of using too much jargon and -above all- choose a tagline that reflects your real value… The main goal of a tagline is to give a glimpse of what you are, if possible with a memorable phrase, but in the end you will have to prove what you are with facts.
A compilation of taglines from famous events (in no particular order):
- POP! Tech: World-changing people, projects and ideas
- TED: Ideas worth spreading
- SXSW: Tomorrow happens here
- Lift Conference: What can the future do for you?
- Picnic Festival: Not your ordinary Picnic
- Techonomy: A new philosophy of progress
- Thinking Digital: Technology, ideas and our future
- 99% Conference: It’s not about ideas. It’s about making ideas happen.
- EG Conference: Making information entertaining & entertainment informative
- World Business Forum: New world. New management.
- World Economic Forum: Committed to improving the state of the world
- Le Web: #1 European Internet event
- Frontiers of Interaction: The crossroads of innovation in Italy
The Conference Basics Tribune is a free newsletter specifically made for event organizers -> It includes a selection of articles, tips, recommended mobile apps, books and featured event organizers. Want to see how the newsletter looks like? Here’s an example. Sing-up for the newsletter.